About DIY Blogroll Contact

Friday 18 May 2012

DIY: Detachable Peter Pan Collars


One thing I've been obsessed with lately is Peter Pan collars. I've been looking to buy a dress with one attached, but I've found that I can't find one that I like for both the collar AND dress cut. So I deciced to take things into my own hands, and make my own! As this is my first attempt, I've gone for the plain white look, but because I've got a pattern now I can recreate it in any colour or cut I want!

Keep reading to see how you can make your own collar:



Firstly, you'll need:


- A T- Shirt with the kind of neckline you'd like your collar to have, some cotton lycra (scraps are fine!), fabric stiffener, some sandwich paper, some scissors, a needle and thread, a small button, and also a sewing machine/ overlocker, some thin elastic and sticky tape (not shown.)

Firstly, I laid out my T- Shirt and traced the neckline onto the sandwich paper , both front and back. I then created a freeform collar shape to create my pattern (the edges can be scalloped, lace edged etc., or simply plain like I've done).



Then, I cut out both parts of the paper collar and sticky- taped these together. (Note: after sticking together, I suggest you try it on- as everyone has different neck width and shapes, it may take a few tries to get the collar to sit properly.)




Now, to make the actual collar! Trace your pattern onto a piece of fabric stiffener, and also some of the stretchy fabric. Pin the two pieces together, and using your sewing machine or overlocker slowly stitch it together.
NOTE: Be sure to leave an inch- wide gap in the inner part of the back of the collar, so you'll be able to turn it the right way out afterwards!!

Once you've done this, turn it out and hand stitch a button and a loop (about 2cm will be enough) of thin elastic) onto the stiffened underside of the collar, where it will join when you wear it:



All finished! Now it's ready to wear..


No comments:

Post a Comment